Monday, November 29, 2010

The Calm Before the Storm

The "Holidays" storm that is. As I sit here reading magazines and getting my last bit of relaxation in, I can't help but think about all that lies ahead for the next 4 weeks (yep 4 weeks....not a lot of time). The hustle and bustle of the holidays are upon us and I can say for myself at least that they are jam packed. So, I am writing this as a bit of a pep talk to myself...telling myself I can make it through this! (Weird I know, but it works for me)


With holiday parties, cooking, shopping, work deadlines, work travel, and anything else thrown in at the last minute, all I can do is to think the best of it so my stress level doesn't explode like a volcano. Now, I love the holidays, don't get me wrong, but after they are over I almost need the whole month of January to recuperate! Ahhh, January. Just fix your mind on January and everything will be okay.


To make sure I didn't go completely batty this holiday season I decided to spear-head my busy schedule and make sure everything is planned out, written on the calendar, and scheduled. This is soooo not like me, as I am way too disorganized to know what is going on tomorrow, let alone the whole month of December. When I look at it it makes me cry. There is no way I can get all this done. But I am planning to take this one day at a time and a couple things may fall by the wayside.


One bonus to the holiday madness for me is the fact that I never have to cook anything for my everyday meals. Our Christmas party we throw every year is the only exception here. My husband and I have so many parties and cocktails to attend that we pretty much have all dinners accounted for...filling in a few here and there. And at work there are always the manufacturers reps that take us out to lunch, bring lunch in, or just drop snacks by the office. So, at least I don't have to worry about what to eat at any point in time.....though I am sure because of this I will have to worry about it next year.


Then of course the culmination of all this hard work and self imposed stress is the time I get to spend with my family on Christmas and enjoying every minute of it. Oh, and the week after where I just lie there like a blob.


I love the holidays, and though I always stress myself out just thinking about them ahead of time, they are always wonderful and I survive in the end. You also might be thinking...."Why don't you take out a couple of parties and such to reduce your stress"? And I say "Because I love parties and being with all my friends and family during this time"! And I love decorating my house, making cookies, and being surrounded by all the holiday cheer. I'm no Scrooge.....just a busy girl that needed a pep talk.

Here's to a great Holiday Season!






Images: 1,3,5 Mary Ruffle
            2,4 Martha Stewart
Related Posts with Thumbnails