Monday, November 15, 2010

My Top 10 Sources Anyone Can Use

Lately I have been reading through some great blogs and seeing sources that other bloggers and designers use. I love these types of posts because there are usually 1-2 sources that I have never heard of and happen to be great! Especially the hidden online sources with the best pricing.

Now, I could list the sources I use for days but most would not be helpful to someone who wants to design their homes without the assistance of an interior designer. So many people see amazing things in magazines and then find out they are "To The Trade" and they have to go through a designer to get them. I decided to pull together my top 10 that anyone can use at anytime to pull together a space they love....and inexpensively in most cases. This list will have you finding great design solutions on your own.

So, without further ado, I give you my top 10 favorites of go to sources for anyone........


1. Mitchell Gold Bob Williams

MGBW is a great source for classic looking furniture that spans both styles of traditional and contemporary. I love looking through the website and also going to the store here in Atlanta to see the pieces in person. Everything is so well made and will last a lifetime.

2. World of Rugs

World of Rugs has been my go to source for rugs in Atlanta. I have only sourced rugs from them but they have recently expanded to furniture, accessories, etc. I only know their rugs and they have some AMAZING pieces ranging from a couple hundred dollars to thousands of dollars. I love to just go in and look around at all the styles and colors. I have worked with them on quite a few projects and they are always eager to help you find the rug of your dreams. If they don't have what you are looking for they are also willing to find it.


3. Home Goods

What can I say about Home Goods except that it's awesome. I have gotten everything there for projects from rugs all the way up to chandeliers. I have even bought cookie sheets there. You just can't beat the prices, and when I need to do an accessory install for a project it's the first place I go.

4. Ikea

I have heard you either love Ikea or you hate Ikea. I am one of the lovers! This is hands down the best place to go if you are in need of any storage solution. Their closet systems are amazing. I can attest to that since one of their wardrobes has given me more organized space. You can pull together an awesome kitchen with unbelievable storage. Seriously...go see for yourself, the cabinet and drawer organization options are crazy. And you can pick up great lighting, picture frames, accessories, and even plants (I have one that is still alive after years). This is a must go to place if you haven't been already. I guess I should also say that I rarely get out of there for under $100. But my car is full!

5. Crate and Barrel

Crate and Barrel just has great classic design pieces. Stuff that will last for years and carry you through the ages. Their furniture pieces are well made, well priced, and have that approachable aesthetic. I also love their kitchen and entertaining items! I can't get enough. I love all the different types of serving pieces, glasses, and dinnerware. Can you ever have too many white serving platters! I think not.

6. Room and Board

Room and Board is my favorite place to go for sleek and mid-century modern pieces. They carry many of the modern classics from names like Eames, Nelson, Noguchi, Starck, and Wegner. Power players of the mid-century modern movement. If you are looking for clean unfussy design this is the store for you. Now, the prices aren't low here but the quality is great and the pieces will last a lifetime.

7. Thrift Stores/Consignment Stores/Yard Sales


Now, what else can I say about thrifting but that the thrill is in the hunt! I frequently stop at thrift stores, flea markets, yard sales, etc. to see what they may have. You never know what awaits you and what you can find with major potential. Most of the pieces you find will need a little TLC but that is all part of the fun. Taking someone else's cast offs and turning them into something great!

8. Craig's List/ EBay


Along the same lines as thrifting but  you can also find amazing things at amazing prices. And some don't need any work or TLC. You can outfit an entire home through Craig and EBay all while in the comfort of your own home. Well, except for going to see and pick up the pieces. Here again, the thrill is in the hunt. And hunt you must. But you can get lucky if someone doesn't know what they have!!!

9. Overstock.com

Overstock is a great source for rugs, lighting, and furniture. I have gotten many a piece from here for projects and often check there to see if they have a knock-off of a piece if I have a tight budget. And we all know everyone has a tight budget these days. This is also my go-to source for sheets. High thread counts at low prices. Can't beat that! Another thing I love is that shipping is only $1. Yeah even if it's a sofa.

10. Etsy
I put Etsy on this list for art and pillows alone. They have so many other things but the art and pillow selection is what keeps me coming back. So many choices at so many price ranges....you can't go wrong. And to top it all off you are helping a small business/artist. If you haven't been to Etsy before I suggest you head over there now. After you browse the art, pillows, and other home decor, keep looking! There are so many amazing hand made things on there.


So happy shopping! These are my favorites (of so many) that I frequently call upon to design wonderful spaces for both myself and others. Any that you would definitely add to the list? Please share!







Images: From Listed Websites
Related Posts with Thumbnails